February 1, 2012

Pelican and fisherman

Pelican and fisherman; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: Ocean Beach pier, San Diego

When: Today

My stepson, John, was in town for a couple of days and hadn't seen the ocean. So we stopped by the pier this morning before I dropped him off at the airport. This was the first time I'd seen pelicans sitting on the pier, and the closest I'd ever been to one of these prehistoric-looking birds. Incredible creatures.

I have photos where the fisherman is in focus and the pelican is soft, and vice versa. But in the end, I liked having them both fairly sharp. And while the pelican's colors are beautiful - red on the beak, sharp blue eyes, a subtle yellow on the head - our friend here stood out better against the sky in black and white.

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

2/01/2012 04:23:00 PM | 0 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?