September 22, 2011

Crossing Fifth

Crossing Fifth; click for previous post
Crossing Fifth; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: Fifth Street west of Figueroa, downtown Los Angeles

When: August 2011

Street photography? Maybe these are, maybe they aren't. It depends how you define the genre, I think. They're nothing like the photos of Bruce Gilden, Martin Parr or even Eric Kim. Those guys are about getting in close with a wide-angle lens and maybe even hitting the subject with a flash. That's not me.

If anything, these are poor imitations of what Henri Cartier-Bresson used to do - geometrically spaced subjects in an interesting setting. I wrote about the differences between Cartier-Bresson and the work of guys like Parr a couple of years ago. (The links in that post don't work anymore.)

At the time, I said I preferred Cartier-Bresson to the others. Looks like I still do.

Larger versions

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

9/22/2011 12:53:00 PM | 1 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?