July 6, 2011

Under the 163

Under the 163; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: Mission Valley, San Diego

When: June 2011

This place made me nervous. Several of these "tunnels" run under the freeway here, separated by graffiti-covered concrete supports. They're almost a football field away from the nearest street, and from a distance, you can't see into them very well. No way to tell what or who is in there.

Still, months after I first saw them from the road, I finally decided to have a closer look. The only people I saw were a couple of guys fishing in the San Diego River, including whoever parked his pickup at the far end of this tunnel.

By the way, when I first saw that pickup, I flashed on an image from "No Country for Old Men." If you've seen the movie, you know the one I mean. For those who haven't, it's the third one down here. My overactive imagination at work.

Anyway, I didn't have any trouble that day. Even so, as I wandered around down there, I kept looking over my shoulder.

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

7/06/2011 11:43:00 AM | 0 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?