June 15, 2011

Chollas Creek

Chollas Creek; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: National Avenue, Southcrest, San Diego

When: May 2011

As I was shooting photos of the creekbed, a woman walked over from the apartment buildings to the right and asked, "What're you taking pictures of, all the trash?" No, I said, I just thought this was an interesting view. What I didn't say was that I didn't see much trash.

As it turns out, Chollas Creek, which runs through some of San Diego's poorest neighborhoods, has been a dumping ground for decades. Efforts are being made to clean up the creek, including a 20-year, $42 million plan the city adopted eight years ago. Still, there's a lot of junk in the creekbed, and when it rains, all that junk makes its way toward San Diego Bay.

I didn't know any of this that day, wasn't even sure if this was a streambed or an old road. People do sometimes drive on it, the woman told me. The channeling was done in the 1950s as a flood-control measure, but the head of a group dedicated to rehabilitating the creek says "it destroyed the ecosystem."

It's good to know some folks are trying to undestroy it.

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

6/15/2011 02:11:00 PM | 0 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?