July 8, 2009

The Abracadabra cuts across our stern

The Abracadabra cuts across our stern; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: Aboard the Stars & Stripes, in San Diego Bay

When: June 27, 2009

What: For our anniversary, Dani bought us tickets for one of the daily races between these two America's Cup yachts. I'm not really sure who won on our day, and I don't care. It was an exhilarating afternoon on the water.

And I learned a couple of things:

1. Cranking the "coffee grinders" to move the sails can be incredibly hard work. Dani and I worked the main sail for about 45 minutes, and moving that big boom and a 100-foot-tall sail against the wind was, at times, nearly impossible. My back hurt for days afterward.

2. These boats are more responsive than my car, which explains why the Abracadabra cut so close behind us at least a half-dozen times. I got to drive for about 20 minutes, and I had to steer very small not to turn too quickly. Surprising. (Yes, I have now driven an America's Cup yacht, which kind of blows my mind. Best anniversary present ever.)

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

7/08/2009 01:23:00 PM | 0 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?