October 8, 2008

The Clinton

The Clinton; click for previous post
Previous // Current // Next

Where: The Clinton Street Theater, southeast Portland, Oregon

When: Oct. 1, 2008

Doing the Time Warp: The Clinton, a cool neighborhood movie house, has been showing "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" every Saturday at midnight since 1978. If you've ever seen "Rocky Horror" in a theater like the Clinton, you know it's as much audience performance art as it is a movie.

The theater encourages moviegoers to bring rice and toast to lob at the screen at the opportune times, when you're not yelling "Boooring!" and "Asshole!" at the characters who deserve it.

My friends and I went a couple of times when I was in college in the early '80s. I remember some of the proto-Goths in line pointing at us and stage-whispering, "Look, ath-a-letes!" And my buddy Tamara turning around from about five rows in front of me and smacking me in the face with a perfectly thrown roll of toilet paper. An ath-a-lete indeed.

Too big? There's a smaller version at Flickr.

Share on Tumblr Bookmark and Share

Images and text ©2005-2012 Mark A. Dodge Medlin

10/08/2008 12:45:00 PM | 0 comments


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?